Surprisingly, I really enjoyed making the tiny patchwork. I quilted it with very simple straight lines, in the ditch, and diagonally in every second square. I used a turquoise quilting cotton left over from this quilt, to pick up on the turquoise in the fabric.
I used a double fold binding, which is not that advisable with a little item like this. It would probably have been neater if I had made a single fold binding, but the front still looks pretty tidy.
I used to think mug rugs were a bit lame, to be honest, but I don't think I would have the patience to make a full sized quilt with 1 inch squares, so this was a good chance to play with patchwork I might not otherwise would have done. I think I will take it to work to add a splash of colour to my desk.