I used wool batting - the Quilter's Dream kind because it's lovely and doesn't smell like sheep. It's getting pretty cold here now so the wool should keep me snuggly and warm.
On the outside this jacket is very "I am a serious person walking a dog". On the inside it's much more "I'm a free spirit who makes her own clothes". That dreamy fabric is Nani Iro that I bought in Melbourne with Erin last year. It's pretty much impossible to find in this colourway, but the print is Komorebi if you want to try.
I could definitely fit more layers under this jacket.
I made a (US) size 4 based on my measurements. This is a size smaller than I expected to make, but it's definitely the right size for me (even though I used relatively lofty batting). I lengthened the body of the jacket by 1.5", and the sleeves by 1". I would lengthen them even more if I made this again - I just really didn't have enough of the lining fabric to do so this time.
I finished the binding on the front of the jacket and at the back hem by hand. The rest is all machine stitched, and I bound all the internal seams as well, for a really tidy finish.
Thank goodness for sewing friends. Erin made this jacket at the same time as me (actually she decided to make it and I was like "me too!"). She made two practice pockets and walked me through the making of these welt pockets which were a bit intimidating for a first timer. In the end they were totally fine - use both the pattern instructions and the sew-along for best results.
I cut four versions of the "upper pocket"piece so that I could have the right side of fabric both inside the pocket and visible on the inside of the jacket.
I didn't have quite enough of the Komorebi print so I used a different Nani Iro print for the inside of the pockets. I squeezed the lining out of about 1.5m of Nani Iro which is definitely less than the recommended amount. Don't try this at home kids.
The quilting is Aurifil 28 weight thread. I guess I thought that if I was going to make a quilted jacket, I wanted to see the quilting. I used a medium blue on the outside and a medium grey on the inside.
Yeah these photos are just gratuitous now.
Oh it's the inside of the pocket again.
If it wasn't for the fact that this limey green makes me look like a corpse, I would be tempted to wear this jacket inside out.