I have previously mentioned the quilt that I made as a wedding present for my friend (a sneak peek of the quilt I made using some of the scraps and left over nine patch blocks is here).
I didn't think that I had a half decent picture of the quilt anywhere (I finished it somewhat at the last minute and therefore was in a bit of a hurry to wrap it etc. before the wedding). However, I was happily wrong, and found this snap I took before I wrapped it up.
This was quite an enormous quilt, I wanted to be king-sized and drape down the sides of the bed as well. I can't remember exactly how big it measured, but I could not lay it flat on my lounge room floor. I started with the bird fabric that you can just catch a glimpse of, and the beige/grey fabric with the bright blue and green flowers, both from my local local quilt shop. All the other fabrics were picked to co-ordinate with, and add depth to, those starting fabrics (and also bought from a variety of quilt shops in the local area).
Because this was a wedding present, I wanted to make something that both the bride and groom would like. I think the use of blues, greens, tans and creams keeps it quite gender neutral, and I knew that my friend (the bride) would love the bright fabrics in this quilt. A quilt this size was a bit daunting for me to quilt, and I didn't really have time in the end. Instead, I had it quilted by Sue Burnett, with a quite simple flower motif in each block.
I didn't follow a pattern for this quilt, but I wanted to keep it simple (partly because I didn't have a lot of time, only about 2 or 3 months). My mantra when making this quilt was "fresh, fresh, fresh". This was only the second quilt I made, but I found it very satisfying and wanted to know more and make more.