Anyway, one of the rules for Symposium was that you could not have shown your quilt before, including on the internet. I finished my quilt months ago, but I haven't been able to show it until now.
One of the exhibition categories was "alive with colour". I decided to make a quilt to fit that brief. When I first started quilting, I really struggled with quilts that were busy and full of colour. I wanted to add a lot of white, or other neutral solids, and negative space. As I've made more quilts, I have become much more comfortable with full-on colour and this quilt was my attempt to incorporate lots of bright, clashy, crazy prints while still creating an effect that is harmonious
I've been enjoying experimenting with improvisational curved piecing lately, and this quilt uses curves cut without a ruler to add interest. It's sort of a spin on the St Louis 16 Patch block that went crazy a couple of years ago, and is a great stash busting block.
Honestly, making this quilt was more challenging than I thought it would be. I had to raid my friend Anne's stash because I ran out of fabrics that were quite crazy enough. I ended up making five or six blocks that weren't ultimately used in the quilt because they didn't look right. The layout was shuffled around many times. It's really hard to photograph and looked more like vomit crazy than good crazy in the photos I took while working on it. But, when it was finished, it was one of my favourite quilts I've made.
With a completely mad top, this quilt just needed simple quilting, so I stitched a 1" grid over the entire quilt top. The red/orange and white stripe has been in my stash forever (I think it was in my first ever online fabric order!) so I was thrilled it made the perfect binding.
Because of my teaching work, I had to enter this quilt in the professional category. I really wasn't expecting to win any prizes - I just wanted to show my work. For that reason, I was very thrilled to awarded a prize for best interpretation of the theme for this quilt.
I did a great workshop at Symposium, so I'll be sharing more about that soon, and I'll also be posting some photos of other quilts that caught my eye in the exhibition.
Pattern: my own improv-ish design
Finished Size: 70" by 84"
Fabric: 60 different fabrics - too many to list!
Backing: two different out-of-print Anna Maria Horner fabrics
Binding: Michael Miller Clown Stripe in Fire
Pieced and quilted by: me