Woohoo - I finally finished my Marsala medallion quilt top! It's been a long time in the making so I'm really thrilled to have it done.
I started with the central block, which is my own design. All the appliqué in that block is blanket stitched by hand, which look a LONG time. It has great texture though, and I found the hand-work pretty soothing, most of the time.
I actually made the outer border next. It consists of 12" square traditional blocks, made in a range of pretty busy marsala-ish fabrics. I was definitely going with "more is more" for this quilt! I had to make a total of 12 blocks, but I actually made 15 before I had 12 I was happy with.
I used to think that having to re-make blocks was a sign of failure, but now I'm much more relaxed about it. When you're pushing the boundaries in terms of colour and design, sometimes things don't work out the first time around. Being able to see that and make changes is a good thing. I also find it easier not to get stuck or agonise over fabric choices when I bear in mind that I can always re-make a block if I really have to.
The inner borders consist of a solid (I think it's Kona Sienna) and quarter square triangle blocks made with Oakshott ruby reds. They add a bit of sparkle which I really love.
There is still plenty of time to link-up to the 2015 Pantone Quilt Challenge. Entries are open here. I'm going to pop my quilt top in the non-judged category - as an organiser of the challenge I'm not eligible for any prizes, but of course I want to show off my quilt top! I'm really looking forward to visiting everyone else's entries too.