This weekend I finished up my items for round 3 of the Sew Sew Modern swap. My partner this round is very very talented - I was looking through her flickr photostream this week and realised I would definitely have to bring my A game!
I'm really pleased with how my items turned out and I hope my partner likes the slightly retro vibe.
I used the Beyond Measure pattern from Bloom and Blossom to make this sewing machine cover. I thought it might be quite tricky since it looks so fancy with the piping and everything, but I found it remarkably easy to put together. I think this is partly down to a really well designed pattern, and partly because I have been sewing quite a few 3 dimensional items lately.
I altered the measurements of the sewing machine cover slightly to fit my partner's sewing machine - I always think the mark of a good pattern is that it's pretty easy to customise to suit your requirements. I also deviated from the pattern in my use of interfacing etc. The pattern calls for fusible fleece and one layer of heavy weight interfacing - I had medium weight interfacing on hand so I interfaced both the exterior and the lining instead. I also omitted the fusible fleece - I just really don't like working with it! If I were to make this again, I would probably include a layer of cotton batting (I always have odd shaped pieces lying around), but it certainly has enough body without it - in these photos it is standing up by itself.
For the co-ordinating small item I made another 7" fabric bowl using the nesting fabric bowl pattern from a cuppa and a catch up. I was inspired to add the binding around the top edge by these ones amy/badskirt made.
I'll be sending these lovelies off to my partner this week - can't wait for them to arrive!
and with Finish it up Friday at crazy mom quilts.