That is why, nearly three weeks after I started my Year 30 quilt challenge, I'm only just blogging about it now. Oops.
These are the first 16 blocks all together. In order to incorporate all 365 blocks into my quilt, I'm making a quilt that is 19 blocks by 20, so these won't even fill the first row. For the first week or so, I just made random blocks based on the mood that struck me on the day. In the second week, I moved onto half square triangles and really enjoyed making seven different blocks consisting mainly of half square triangles. By the end of the week I didn't feel like I'd finished exploring HSTs, but I was pretty sick of trimming, so I decided to move onto something different and re-visit HSTs later.
This week I'm working with improv curves. They're something I've been exploring in another quilt which I can't share at the moment (nothing too exciting, I'm just planning to exhibit it in a show where the rules require quilts not to have previously been published, including online). Improv curves are definitely testing me, especially on this scale (my blocks are 4.5" square). I think I'll have a really fun week and learn a lot, which is one of the main aims of this project.
I've been sharing my blocks as I make them on instagram, under the #year30quilt hashtag. I'm going to go back and tag my photos with #yearroundquilt as well, in case anyone wants to join me on this project. You're welcome to pop in and out on a schedule that suits you. I'll be continuing with improv curves until Thursday, and then my next weekly theme will be four patch variations.