It is the Lucky Square quilt top made by the lovely Jess at SewCraftyJess, and she asked for volunteers to help test the pattern she has written for it. I offered my assistance and Jess was kind enough to send me the pdf of the great pattern she has put together. Over a few days, a whole bunch of cut squares and strips have gone from this:
I used the softer coloured fabrics from my fat quarter set of Anna Maria Horner's Field Study Collection, plus one other print, together with a lovely taupe-ish linen from my local quilt shop.
It would be fair to say that apart from putting this quilt together quickly, I am not a very good pattern tester. This is actually the first quilt I have made using a pattern (um, yeah, I didn't mention that to Jess when I volunteered...) and I made a couple of tweaks like taking out a row and adding a border. The great thing about Jess' pattern is that it had plenty of information for me to easily work out how to make the tweaks I wanted to, which I think is a very helpful feature.
My version finished 74 inches square (which is why I am struggling to hold the whole thing up in the pictures) and is now basted and ready for quilting. For the quilting, I am planning to do a very simple straight-line crosshatch over the whole quilt, in a thread that co-ordinates with the linen (and should blend into all the coloured squares).
I went a little crazy on the back - I didn't have any large cuts big enough to do a solid back, so I picked a whole bunch of prints that go with the colours on the front. This is the first time I have done a really wild quilt back, and I have to say, I like it.
I can't wait to quilt this up and see the finished quilt in all its glory. I hear that Jess is planning to release the pattern in the week starting the 14th of January, so keep an eye out!