My sailboats quilt is finished and has been delivered to the mother-to-be. I am very very pleased with how it came out, and it was well received, which is always nice!
You can see that I kept the quilting very simple with my favourite diagonal cross-hatch. The lines are 1" apart. The first time I quilted a cross-hatch I tried using the guide bar that comes with my walking foot. The theory is all good, but in practice, it doesn't work well for me. The other end of the guide bar gets in the way of my right hand, it gets bumped out of place too easily, and I still find it difficult to get neat straight lines. Since then, I've been converted to marking all my quilting lines, and even though it's time consuming, I find the result is a lot better.
I use a hera marker for marking quilting lines - partly because there is no risk of making a mark that will not come out of the fabric, but mostly because it is the most cost effective way of marking. Once you've bought a hera marker (which, by the way, costs about the same as a single marking pen), you should be able to keep using it for many many years. This is the one I have, and I would highly recommend it.
If you're interested in how I made the quilt top, I shared some of the details here. It involved a variety of techniques, including foundation paper piecing, machine appliqué and regular piecing. Since there was quite a bit happening on the front of this quilt, I decided to go very simple for the back. This navy and cream ticking stripe fabric fits nicely with the nautical theme. It also happened to be 54" wide, meaning I didn't have to piece the back (hooray!).
Even though I'm happy to pass this quilt on to it's intended home, I'm also a little sorry to say goodbye to it. I enjoyed making it a lot more than I thought I would. The colour scheme is out of my usual comfort zone, but I had a lot of fun picking fabrics (and more of them come from my stash than you might expect!).
Back when this quilt was still a WIP, I asked for some advice on labelling. I received lots of great ideas, including the suggestion to add the label later after the baby is born. In the end, I decided that if I didn't label the quilt now, it would never get done. You can see the label I went with below - the couple's last name is actually on the label, but I have edited it out for their privacy. After writing the label with a fabric marker, I used fusible webbing to attach it to the back of the quilt, and then blanket stitched around the edge with two strands of embroidery thread.
I would really like to make another version of this quilt in a colour palette that's more my speed. Sadly the book the pattern is from (Le Petit Monde de Jacqueline Morel) seems to be out of print and a bit hard to find, otherwise I would definitely be adding it to my collection. I guess I'll have to wait until I can get it out of the guild library again!
Pattern: Old Sailboats Quilt from Le Petit Monde de Jacqueline Morel
Finished Size: Approximately 42" square.
Fabric: assorted designer quilting fabrics including Moda, Anna Maria Horner, Riley Blake and Tula Pink
Backing: Navy and Cream Ticking Stripe
Binding: Tonal High Rise in Dark Blue from Velocity by Jessica Hogarth for P&B Textiles
Pieced and quilted by: me, on my domestic sewing machine.
and with Finish it up Friday at crazy mom quilts.